Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Thinking of Baseball in January

When I was growing up in Chicago I always hated January and February. I would sit in my room with my mitt and my ball and wait for the end of the cold.

There is nothing more soothing or exciting than a ball game. To be running errands in the car and have the Sox game on the radio is a simple pleasure that I missed horribly when I was living in South America.

I have to say that I have been to Macchu Picchu, Hong Kong, Istanbul, Rome and Rio and I love all these places but there is no where I would rather be than in Comiskey Park (US Cellular Field) watching the White Sox play a great pitchers duel with a team that I hate- like the Tigers or Twins or Indians. Getting to Watch my Sox win the World Series the third greatest moment of my life after Marriage, college degree it is October 2005.

Some White Sox fans enjoy the Cubs/Sox rivalry. But I love the fact that my city has two teams with over 250 years of Baseball history. I like the fact that north is north and south is south and that Luke Appling, Luis Aparicio, and yes Ernie Banks and Ron Santo are ours. Is there anything better than a hot July day in a bar in Chicago with the Sox and the Cubs on the TV?
I love the fact that Mark Tardi and I can have a three hour conversation about Baseball and after it is over we have solved nothing except the ball crossing the infield.

I find the middle of January to be the worst time in the year. It is our Lent before Lent but I wait it is only 29 days to Pitchers and Catchers.... and another year.

No comments: